Some Basic Info

I was first diagnosed with malignant brain tumors on 11-20-08 and I finished treatment for those on 4-13-09. I was recently diagnosed with a recurrence on 12-08-09. I set up this blog so people could follow along with my progress and keep up with what is going on in my treatment. I also wanted to put up information from my first go round so people could learn a little bit about what happened to me before.
The blog is set up with the newest posts first. Sometimes I will post stories from my first experience, in which casse it will be slightly out of order, but the titles will let you know. If you want to look at older posts, which may provide a better idea of the whole picture, use the "Blog Archive" tool on the right side of the page to browse them. The titles of the posts should be pretty self-explanatory. If you don't really know that much about me, or what happened, you should check out these two posts first: this one about what's happening now, and this one about my first experience.
Feel free to leave comments, it should be open to everyone now. Thanks for visiting, I hope this little blurb clears up some confusion, and I hope you like the blog.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Hair Cut

On Friday I started noticing my hair was falling out. Nothing drastic, just if I ran my hands through it, I would get a noticeable amount of hair on my hands. Because I didn't want to have to go through the trauma of having huge chunks of hair falling out on my pillow or lining the insides of my hats, I decided to go ahead and shave it all off. I did wait until Saturday because it was late Friday and I knew it would take a while and I would have to shower afterwards.

Here are some before pictures:


I ended up having to get all my hair in several stages. First I used scissors and cut most of it off, then I used buzzers to get more of it off, and finally a razor to get it as short and consistent as possible.

Here are the results:


I decided to leave my facial hair because that hasn't started to fall out yet, so why shave it? It was weird to have to worry about keeping the facial hair even on each side because it was opposite from normal: instead of keeping the top, I was keeping the bottom.

I also have a picture of almost all of the leftover hair, at least the big chunks:

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Miles,

It is great to see your smiling face-- with or without hair we miss you and your smile at NCP! Thanks for sharing your journey -- let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers -- I have the church ladies gift when you are ready let me know.

Aunt Margaret said...

Miles,

What a cosmetological thrill to see your before and after pictures. You're such a darn cutie no matter what your style!

Unknown said...

So, you did a pretty nice job, Miles. When Dave was little, his younger brother, Daniel, tried to cut his own hair with the dog shears. After having bald spots too numerous to mention, their Dad summoned Dave to finish the job with some regular shears. To this day, Dave still chuckles as he remembers shaving the rest of his hair only to burst out laughing as he encountered the various bald spots left from the dog shears. This whole incident earned him the nickname, "Boz" that we still use today.

Love you bunches and are praying for you:o) Love,
Aunt Marcie

Unknown said...

Miles,

You do a good job of posing for your "mug shot," especially for a kid who -- as far as I know -- never posed for a mug shot! The only thing different between the "before" set of two pics and the "after" set is the absence of hair! Remarkable.

And "remarkable" is a good word to describe you, your family, and Tord. Blog when you're up to it and, as always, rely on us for whatever it is you need throughout this process!

-- Dan G.

Anonymous said...

If yοu have got а sore thrοаt,
yοu ARΕ unwеll. Ιf it lаsts
ονеr a week, or ωill get ωorse,
οr yοu stаrt гeсeivіng οtheг challengеѕ, gо sеe
a hеalth care pгovider.

My wеb-sіtе: http://www.strepthroatdoctor.org/

Anonymous said...

UGG Australia has produced some unique and
fun types in boots for ladies - Classic Stripe UGG Boots
are really a perfect illustration of this. If you've got no idea about whether these boots you want are real or otherwise, it can be advisable not to get them. So you will find that shoes, clothes, even bags for children has are more exquisite than before.

My website - tory burch